January 30, 2011

Coconut-Lime Cupcakes January 20, 2011

On January 20th, 2011 we were blessed with a winter storm. I know, I know...I usually don't consider a winter storm a blessing but this one allowed me to stay home and make these wonderful Coconut-Lime Cupcakes for my aunt's birthday. Oh they were soooo good. In fact, one of my cousins was jealous she didn't get any so I promised I'd make her some when she came to visit us. Naturally, she loved them!


What can I say? They speak for themselves. Coconut-lime cupcakes with coconut frosting...mmmm. Here's a visual to help you out.

Yes, that's a pretty big mug, noooo the cupcake isn't actually that tiny.

Here's my progress, in pictures of course.


First, I baked my cupcakes and cored them with a cute little gadget I got at Williams & Sonoma. It's called the Cuisipro Cupcake Corer. You can click on the above link to go to their webpage. It's a fantastically simple tool, hand operated, easy to wash and it works great on standard size cupcakes or muffins. I haven't tried using it on jumbo cupcakes, so I cannot say how well it would do with such a large medium. I really like that it's quick and simple to operate.

Cuisipro Cupcake Corer 


Then I filled them with some wonderful lime curd. First time I've ever made any kind of curd. Truthfully, making lime curd always sounded like a daunting task. In my head I was always thinking "that sounds like it would be very complicated to make and it probably takes a lot of time." In reality it's fairly simple and actually quite easy to make. My next flavor of curd that I plan on making is grapefruit. Yep, you heard me, grapefruit curd. There's a nice recipe that actually sounds interesting enough that I'm just going to have to try it to say I at least attempted it, and either liked it or not. I'm actually hoping that I'll like it. I'm not a big grapefruit fan at all.


Finally I piped coconut buttercream frosting on them and then sprinkled coconut flakes on top of the buttercream.  Absolutely lovely cupcakes and the only person that wrinkled their nose up at them was my boyfriend. After 7 years together he finally says he doesn't like lime. Go figure!


2 comments:

  1. Those are my favorite cupcakes EVER!!!
    I can't wait until you make ME MORE!! BAHAHAHAHA

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Maria! I'm going to keep working through different recipes and see what works and what doesn't. Definitely had a "doesn't work" mis-adventure tonight!

    ReplyDelete